Saturday 9: Let’s Dance (1983)
In memory of David Bowie (1947-2016).
1) In this song, David encourages his partner to “put on your red shoes and dance.” When did you last dance?
2) Mr. Bowie recalled that he and choreographer Toni Basil developed a dance step now known as “the moonwalk” for his 1974 tour, nearly a decade before Michael Jackson performed “Billie Jean.” Can you think of something you should have gotten credit for, but didn’t?
toni basil as in “mickey”? wow, cool. anyway, there are a lot of things at work that i didn’t get credit for, and others did when they copied what i did. that stung a bit.
3) Similarly, the band Roxy Music was upset because Bowie copied their “catsuit look” for his own stage wardrobe and made it famous. What do you usually wear, Monday through Friday?
professional dress, for work. lots of long skirts and blouses.
4) David Bowie was particular about the aftershave he wore, and one of his favorites was by Guerlain. Do you regularly apply cologne or aftershave?
not regularly. i do enjoy a spritz of fragrance from victoria’s secret every now and then, but it’s not regular.
5) In school, David’s best subject was art. Think back to your own school days. In which class did you excel?
hmm. i always loved writing so did pretty well in that but i got the best grades in math classes.
6) In addition to art and music, David Bowie displayed a keen head for business, leaving a fortune of more than $600,000,000. Would you describe yourself as “good with money?”
not really. i do save and am always able to pay bills on time, but i think i could do better with the saving and managing.
7) Bowie also appeared in a variety of movies from The Man Who Fell to Earth to Zoolander. Who is your alltime favorite movie actor?
i think the only one i saw that he appeared in was labyrinth. 🙂 i don’t think i have an all-time favorite movie actor. i know who i *don’t* like, but there’s no one that stands out as my all-time favorite.
8) One of Bowie’s hits is “Life on Mars.” If you had the opportunity to travel into space, would you take it?
no. although i’m fascinated by that, i think i’d get sick in zero gravity. i just saw this short clip of a crew in outer space and how they were moving about and stuff and that would make my tummy so unsettled. i can’t even imagine going to the bathroom. yikes.
9) The creators of SpongeBob Square Pants are huge Bowie fans and were thrilled when, in 2007, he appeared in an episode. Sam suspects that she may be the only person who hasn’t seen that cartoon show. What about you? Have you ever watched an episode of SpongeBob, start to finish?
yes, i have. my nephew and niece were obsessed. then my son started to watch it. it was all right, i guess. i used to watch a lot of cartoons myself, and spongebob is not as gross as some of the current ones are, but still makes me miss the cute ones we grew up with.