1) This song mentions golden sands. When do you think you’ll next visit the beach?
i’m not sure? i haven’t been to the beach in a while. when i was younger, i went all the time.
2) Shortly after “Beyond the Sea” hit the charts, Bobby Darin met and married movie sweetheart Sandra Dee. Her squeaky-clean image is spoofed in the song, “Look at Me, I’m Sandra Dee,” from Grease. Can you name another song from Grease?
sad fact: i can name all the songs from grease 🙂 except maybe the instrumentals that i don’t know the titles of or songs that were playing the background like on the jukebox or whatever…but the songs the characters sang, i know. as little girls, my sisters and i watched that movie every single day, sometimes twice! we can still recite lines from that movie! “grease” “summer nights” “rydell fight song” “hopelessly devoted to you” “beauty school dropout” “hound dog” “rock n roll is here to stay” “tears on my pillow” “born to hand jive” “blue moon” “sandy” “greased lightning” “there are worse things i could do” “you’re the one that i want” “we go together”
3) Years earlier, Bobby had an ill-fated romance with singer Connie Francis. According to Ms. Francis, Darin wanted to marry her, but her father forbade it. Have you ever had a relationship that your parents disapproved of?
i don’t think so. only after the fact, when they saw how much i was hurt.
4) Bobby was a Renaissance man: Grammy-winning singer, Oscar-nominated actor, Rock and Roll Hall of Famer and an excellent chess player. Are you good at chess?
no, i am not. my son was in a chess club in school but he had no one to practice with since i don’t know how to play it and refused to be taught. 😛
5) A car buff, he drove a 1960 custom car that was so unique and spectacular it’s now in a Detroit museum. The bright red paint was mixed with ground diamonds to ensure that it sparkled in the sun. Each of the four bucket seats had its own ac/heat control and radio speaker. The steering wheel was slightly squared for easier handling. What features would your dream car have?
wow. i just like mine to work! maybe a car that can drive itself? i don’t like driving. then when it gets to its destination if it can fold up into a little toy like transformers that i can just keep in my purse, then i wouldn’t have to worry about parking.
6) Beyond the Sea is also the name of the 2004 screen biography in which Kevin Spacey played Bobby Darin. Who would you choose to play you in the story of your life?
hmm. i’m not sure. no one famous really looks like me (which is why they’re famous). i guess anyone that can play drab and boring. if they can glamour down to me, they’d probably win an oscar. 😛
7) When he was just 8 years old, Bobby Darin was stricken with rheumatic fever, and the disease left him with a dangerously weakened heart. Did you spend much time in the hospital when you were a kid?
no, not really.
8) In 1959, when “Beyond the Sea” was popular, Alaska became our 49th state. What comes to mind when you think of Alaska?
and we became the 50th several months later! when i think of alaska i just shiver and think of cold.
9) In 1959, Conair introduced the first hair dryer developed for home use. Is there a hair dryer in your bathroom right now?
no. the air is my hair dryer 😛