… because Country Dew suggested it
1) In the lyrics, Don McLean refers to having once been a paper boy. When you were a kid, what job or household chores did you do for spending money?
my chores were washing the dishes and keeping my room clean. both are still very hard for me to do. 😀
2) Them good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye. What’s the last drink you ordered?
a large cup of ice water. it’s been so humid here lately! and i had the beginnings of a headache so i ordered this even though they charged me full price ($3.13).
3) He drove to the levee but it was dry. When is the last time it rained where you are?
it’s been raining a bit here, but that still doesn’t taken away the heat and the stickiness. ick.
4) When McLean was working on the song, he wrote the lyrics out in long hand. It took him 16 pages of lined notebook paper. Today it’s a laptop/smartphone/tablet world, and Sam can’t remember the last time she hand wrote anything longer than a sign on her front door that read, “Bell broken. Plz knock.” What about you? What’s the last thing you wrote with pen or pencil?
filling out a declaration form on the airplane ride home.
5) McLean’s most recent CD is called “Addicted to Black,” in reference to Olivia in The Twelfth Night. Quick! Without looking it up, name another character from Shakespeare.
romeo! juliet! othello! macbeth! hamlet! ophelia! desdemona! horatio! shylock! marc anthony and cleopatra! yikes, i feel like i’m playing outburst.
6) Don was born in New Rochelle, New York, which was named one of The Best Walking Cities in America by the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA). What about your neighborhood? Is it easily walkable?
yes, it is. i used to walk around all the time for exercise; it’s a nice area with lots of shade, although there’s one area with a lot of bugs–it’s best to walk through with your mouth closed and nose pinched. it might look like that area is smelly, but it’s not–just a lot of small little bugs flying around that you wouldn’t want going up your nose or in your mouth! ick! just recently, we walked a whole bunch around center city, philadelphia; that was a nice walking city.
7) In 1971, the year this song was popular, Walt Disney World officially opened. Have you ever been to DisneyLand or Disney World?
really? i’m as old as wdw? wow! i know disneyland must’ve just celebrated its 60th year, as i saw my friend post about it on fb. i’ve been to disneyland when i was 10; i’ve never been to disneyworld. i always think about taking my son there just to say we’ve gone but he’s not into rides or anything so i don’t know if it’d be worth it.
8) Also in 1971, Mattel introduced Malibu Barbie. This doll was a “sun-loving California girl” and had a distinct tan. Have you ever used a tanning bed?
wow, i’m as old as barbie, too? i’ve never used a tanning bed. it just seems wrong, cooking your skin like that. i get enough sunburn where i live for free.
9) American Pie is also the name of a 1999 movie. Have you seen it?
no, i haven’t.