1) This week’s featured artist uses her middle initial (C. for Carolyn) all the time. Do you use your middle initial very often?
no, not really. i’m called by my middle name often, though.
2) In this song, a mother tells off the local PTA. What’s the most recent school event you attended — whether as a parent, a teacher or a student?
we had our may day yesterday. tons of parents, grandparents, and other family and community members there, watching our precious students perform. sooooo glad it’s over.
3) The lyrics reference the mom’s miniskirts, which were trendy in the 1960s. The website Popsugar reports that gingham checks are trendy for 2015. Tell us about the most recent addition to your wardrobe.
i had to buy a shirt for said may day program. they were only $5 at walmart so i bought several colors.
4) Thinking of moms, Access Hollywood named Carol Brady of The Brady Bunch TV’s #1 mom. Who is your favorite TV mom?
she hardly did anything, though! i like lorelai gilmore for her wit and sass, and she had a good relationship with her daughter, though a bit unrealistic. but she did know when to be a friend, and when she needed to step up and play the “mother card.” she was a bit annoying though at times; sometimes rory showed more maturity than her. i also thought claire huxtable was good–she worked, she was firm with her kids, she did stuff. i don’t know any current ones as i don’t have tv, but i’m sure they’re much better than carol brady?? even roseanne (in the earlier seasons, at least) still went to work and did stuff around the home and was firm with her kids when she needed to be, but you could tell she loved them dearly.
5) Mother Winters always gave Sam peppermint tea to calm her stomach. Do you have any tried-and-true home remedies to share?
hmm. not really. well, whenever i would get a headache from crying too much, i would eat ice cream and that would take the headache away. 🙂 i don’t know if that’s a scientific thing or just a comfort thing, but it worked!
6) Sam’s mother always tips 15% in restaurants. Sam has worked in food service and is more judgmental, tipping between 10% and 25%, depending on the quality of the service. What’s your tipping policy? Are you more like Sam or her mother?
i go about 20%, and a little more if they’re nice. my sister was in the food service industry and i know how hard she had to work, so i tend to give them some slack, knowing they could have just had to deal with the rudest customer on earth. my sister is extremely generous with them because she knows what it’s like. she’ll even tip when she does take out.
7) When the tip of her shoelace becomes frayed, Sam’s mother snips off the end and then paints the tip with clear nail polish. Good as new! Sam thinks that’s crazy because you can just buy new laces for less than $2. Are you more frugal like mother or spendthrift like daughter?
i think i’m more frugal. i kinda have to be. it’s just me paying for mortgage fees and loans and school stuff and whatnot.
8) Mother Winters loves how french vanilla smells and burns her Yankee Candles all year around. Do you use scented candles or air fresheners?
i used to *always* use scented candles when my home was brand new. i’d light them in every room and it just made this home feel so cozy, and it smelled sooo nice. 🙂 then when i was ready to sleep, i’d go to each room and blow them out, and stay for a few seconds, inhaling that smell of just-burnt-candles. ahhh. now, though, i don’t bother. i use air fresheners once in a while, but mostly, it’s just the natural smell of the house. haha.
9) Sam is celebrating Mother’s Day with her mother’s favorite, Hershey Bars. Would you prefer classic milk chocolate, dark chocolate or chocolate with almonds?
oh my gosh i love chocolate with almonds!!! that’s my one restraint when going to costco, is buying that whole container of chocolate-covered almonds that near the cash register!!! yum!!!