so far march has been so hectic. today is my only day of “rest” during my break, and it’s not even the full day. i wish we had another week.
love this song!! one of my favorite u2 songs 😀 when i saw the title i was excited and then thought oh it might be another song and i’m getting excited for nothing! but it was the song i was thinking of 😀
1) In honor of St. Patrick’s Day (this coming Tuesday), we’re featuring one of Ireland’s most successful exports, U2. What else is Ireland famous for?
potatoes? irish people? home of niall horan. 😀
2) The Dublin studio where U2 recorded this song (and all of Achtung, Baby) is now a music store called Claddagh Records. U2 pilgrims from all over the world travel to the spot (Celia Street, Dublin 2). If we were to visit your neighborhood, are there any landmarks you could direct us to?
hmm. not really. the water park? maybe?
3) Lead singer Bono is rarely seen without his trademark sunglasses because he suffers from glaucoma. How is your vision? 20/20?
no, things that are far away are kinda blurry for me. my eyesight requires glasses for driving, but i usually can get away without it. i just can’t read signs far away without some serious squint action.
4) Bono and wife Alison were married in 1982 and are still together today. Who is the longest-married couple you know?
my aunty’s parents (one of whom is my former boss) have been married for 55 years. i think that’s the longest i know. they’re so cute together. i love the way they just look at each other and smile. it’s so sweet. and their whole family has divorces right and left, but they have remained together, and they are still going quite strong. they found each other quite young, too, so it’s nice to see a couple who started out young still together and still in love with each other. i don’t think i’ve once heard them argue. and i used to catch a ride with the one i worked with every day, and she never once complained about her husband. when people talk about “relationship goals” they would be mine, although i’m double the age now of what they were when they married. still. it’s nice to see in a world filled with divorce and bitterness.
5) When Bono inducted Frank Sinatra into the Grammy Hall of Fame, he applauded the older man’s “swagger.” Do you think you have swagger?
6) Bono has been honored by world leaders, including President Obama and Nelson Mandela and the Pope, for his philanthropy. Here’s your turn to brag: tell us something you have received praise for recently.
my son liked the stroganoff i made the other day? hahaha i don’t know what else i’ve received praise for recently. at least, one i can say out loud.
7) Clearly Bono is the most famous member of U2. Who else is in the band?
the edge!! adam clayton and larry mullens.
8) On St. Patrick’s Day, will you wear green?
no. i didn’t. i actually forgot about it until i saw my sister making green popcorn. but she did make a yummy corned beef and cabbage dinner, which i had some of. yum!
9) Will you enjoy a glass of green beer or maybe a Shamrock Shake from McDonald’s?
no, i just drink water, and green water doesn’t seem all that appetizing. 😛
1. Three things that scare me: death, getting older, centipedes.
2. Three people who make me laugh: my sisters, my niece, a coworker.
3. Three things I love: family, friends, pets.
4. Three things I hate: war, fighting, bullying.
5. Three things I don’t understand: physics, calculus, people.
6. Three things on my desk: computer, pictures, post-its.
7. Three things I’m doing right now: this, texting, breathing.
8. Three things I want to do before I die: live a long life, world travel, see a cure for horrible diseases
9. Three things I can do: walk, eat, sleep.
10. Three things I can’t do: talk, lift things, do a good job at stuff.
11. Three things you should listen to: family, conscience, authority.
12. Three things you should never listen to: liars, politicians, naysayers.
13. Three things I’d like to learn: meaning of life, secrets of the universe, why some people do the things they do.
14. Three favorite foods: steak, potatoes, broccoli.
15. Three beverages I drink regularly: water, water, and more water.
16. Three shows I watched as a kid: smurfs, flintstones, 321 contact
1982?? seriously?? wow.
1) This song originally appeared on Whitesnake’s Saints and Sinners album. Are you feeling more saintly or sinful this morning?
i’m always saintly. 😈
2) Whitesnake was formed by Brit David Coverdale, who now lives in Lake Tahoe, NV. Have you ever wanted to relocate to another country?
yes, when i was younger, i did.
3) In the song, Coverdale says he “was born to walk alone.” Do you enjoy time on your own? Or do you quickly get bored or lonely?
i know what it means to walk along the lonely street of dreams. 🙂 yes, i enjoy time on my own. i don’t get bored easily–i like to just lay there and enjoy the quiet some days. there are a few times i feel lonely, but mostly, like a drifter, i was born to walk alone. 😛
4) During the band’s 1980s heyday, Coverdale was known for his skintight leather pants. Do you own leather pants or slacks?
no. i can’t imagine they’d be comfortable?
5) What about snakeskin?
no. just a bunch of cotton and wool in my closet.
6) It’s estimated that 20,000 people die of snake bite every year. Approximately 1,000 suffer fatal spider bites. Less than 50 are killed each year by sharks. Considering sharks, spiders and snakes, which do you find scariest?
well, i don’t have to deal with snakes here, but seeing one would freak me out. and spiders are okay if they just stay in their corner. i’m surrounded by sharks, but i don’t go into the ocean very much, so i don’t have to worry about them. they kinda fascinate me, in some ways, as all marine animals do, i guess.
7) In 1982, when this song was popular, the world lost Princess Grace of Monaco. Before she became a royal, she was film star Grace Kelly. Have you ever seen a Grace Kelly movie?
no, i don’t think so. i don’t think i even know who that is.
8) Speaking of movies, the top-grossing film of 1982 was ET: The Extra Terrestrial. Have you seen it?
yes, i saw it AT A DRIVE-IN! who says that any more???
9) Random question: How many timepieces will you have to reset when we spring ahead this weekend?
none…we don’t have daylight savings time. 🙂
Are you a jealous person? yes.
When is the next time you’re traveling out of state? summer.
Can you write your name in a foreign language? yes.
When you’re getting ready for something, do you listen to music? yes.
What is your favorite day of the week? friday!
What is something you did yesterday and wish you could’ve done today? i don’t know?
If you woke up tomorrow and knew/spoke a different language, which language would you want it to be? japanese.
What did you last order online? fasta pasta.
Do you have any specific hobbies? no, they’re more general.
What’s a song you recently discovered that you want to tell everyone about? “bailando.”
Favorite fall or winter accessory? sweater.
What did you last eat? nibbling on some string cheese as i’m doing this.
Look to your left. What’s there? the wall.
How long does it take you to fall asleep? on a good day, within a half-hour.
Is there a TV in the room you are in? yes, but it doesn’t work. (too heavy for me to lift to throw away.)
What comes to your mind when I say red? a rose.
Name something you think is pointless? make-up.
1) When this song was popular, the Supremes were known for their long gloves and full-length gowns. When was the last time you got dressed up?
this past weekend.
2) With a record 12 #1 hits, the Supremes remain America’s best-selling vocal group. This must have been hard for Betty McGlown, the fourth Supreme, who left the group before they recorded their first song. Can you think of an opportunity you missed?
yes. i could’ve been in another grade level last year, but after giving it some thought, i turned down the opportunity. but now i wish i hadn’t, because of the dramas in my current grade level, and now that i *really* want out, i can’t go to the other grade level because the person who took the position i wanted is staying. bah.
3) When “the girls” (Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Flo Ballard) first started hanging around Motown, founder Berry Gordy was reluctant to let them record. After all, they were still in high school. They refused to give up and eventually convinced him to let them add hand claps and finally back up vocals to recordings by other Motown artists. Tell us about a time when your persistence paid off.
it took me a looooong time to have a successful pregnancy. my son is the wonderful product that has made all that former heartache and depression worth it. 🙂
4) 50 years after its release, “Stop! In the Name of Love” is one of the most popular karaoke songs. Do you know the lyrics?
all i know is that one line. i think it was in some commercial or something?
5) There’s a children’s playground named in Diana Ross’ honor within New York’s Central Park. It includes swings, slides, rope bridges and a fountain. When you played in the park, what did you run to first?
i always ran to the swings. i loved the swings.
6) Diana stumbled in her high heels and broke her ankle as she left the stage after a November 2012 concert. What do you have on your feet right now?
nothing! just the way i like it! 🙂
7) Ever the trooper, she honored her commitment to perform at a White House-sponsored Christmas concert just weeks later, even though her leg was still in a cast. Tell us about a time when you “played hurt.”
played hurt as in pretended i was hurt to get out of something? or as in i kept on going even though i was hurt? if the latter, it’s been the past few weeks. if the former, i pretended i was hurt (well, i was, slightly, but not to the point that i couldn’t have done it) to get my son to do my laundry for me (see, he’s wonderful!).
8) Young Diana Ross was a good student and a tough competitor who made her school’s swim team. Are you a good swimmer?
no. i can float, but that’s about it.
9) Diana’s older sister, Dr. Barbara Ross-Lee, was the first African American woman to be appointed dean of an American medical school. Decades ago, Barbara juggled post-graduate studies and raising small children. Are you good at multi-tasking?
not really…i try to, but i always leave things unfinished.
Could you tell me please, what color each of these things are?
~ Your hair: dark brown.
~ Your eyes: brown.
~ Your shirt: hot pink.
~ Your socks: i’m not wearing any now, but i only have white socks.
~ Your shoes: not wearing any now, but black.
~ Your purse: black.
~ Your wallet: black.
~ Your phone: black. (so much for “colorful” meme 😛 )
~ Your computer/laptop: silver.
~ Your earphones: white.
~ Your best friend’s hair: brown.
~ Your best friend’s eyes: hazel.
~ Your sky today: blue.