1) This song is about how the older generation often doesn’t understand what the younger generation is up to. Do you keep up with trends?
with some, but not others. i think technology-wise, i’m more with the trend than not. but i know when i was younger and had to deal with parents who disapproved with the type of music i listened to, i swore to myself that i would always keep up to date with the music scene. however, i’m still stuck in the ’80s. i like some of the current music, but i don’t know the songs or the artists really well. i haven’t kept up with that at all.
2) This song was in the top 10 in 1972, which is also the year HBO was introduced. Do you have any premium cable channels?
nope. i canceled my cable several years ago, when my tv went kaput and i never got a new one. even when i did have cable, i was just a basic subscriber.
3) Mother Winters taught Sam how to kill the lingering food smells in her microwave (take a bowl of water, add a few drops of vanilla extract, and heat it in the microwave). Do you have any useful household hints to pass along?
ooo. that sounds good. i love the smell of vanilla. i don’t have any useful hints, i don’t think. i use everything as it’s intended.
4) The French word for “mother” is “mère.” What other French words do you know?
s’il vous plaît. 😛 and even longer, répondez s’il vous plaît. and … escargot. and hors d’œuvre? is that french? probably other food-related ones.
5) Flowers and plants are popular on Mother’s Day. How is your yard or garden? Is it green and/or blooming?
i just have a little concrete lanai. no place for a yard or garden. i do have one orchid plant given by a student. after it lost its initial flowers it just stayed bare. i rarely watered it–just whatever little rain comes through is what it gets. but about 2 summers ago, after … maybe 5 or 6 years of having it, all of a sudden, flowers bloomed. it was really weird, but very pretty. i don’t know what my upstairs neighbor threw down on it to make it bloom, but bloom it has.
6) Mother’s Day is a big holiday for card shops. So are birthdays, weddings, and St. Patrick’s Day. Hallmark sells greetings for everything from “Congratulations on Your New Job” to “Happy Retirement.” Who received the most recent card you bought?
my dad, i think. with most of the others, we tend to make the cards. but for my dad’s family, we just buy cards.
7) Have you put away your winter clothes yet?
i don’t really have winter clothes. but last night i did have to turn on the air conditioner because my animals were lying there, so hot. so, that is more a sign that summer is coming, than me putting away certain pieces of clothes.
8) Mother Winters used to scold Sam for leaving her dirty dishes in the sink. Sam admits it: as a grown up, she’s still a bit of a slob. Do lean toward “neat” or “messy?”
*looking around the room* i’d have to say i’m a bit like sam.
9) To celebrate Mother’s Day, Sam is giving away candy bars. Would you prefer classic milk chocolate, dark chocolate or milk chocolate with almonds?
i love the milk chocolate with almonds. that’s my favorite m&ms now, and i’ve always liked the hershey bar with almonds. when i belonged to costco, i liked to get the big bag of plain almonds and make a mix with the small jar of chocolate-covered almonds that they also sold. i would end up picking out all the plain almonds first so i could end on a chocolate-covered one. 🙂 i rarely eat chocolate though, but now i find it better with almonds (better than peanuts or just plain, anyway).