Free association is described as a “psychonanalytic procedure in which a person is encouraged to give free rein to his or her thoughts and feelings, verbalizing whatever comes into the mind without monitoring its content.” Over time, this technique is supposed to help bring forth repressed thoughts and feelings that the person can then work through to gain a better sense of self.
That’s an admirable goal, but for the purposes of this excercise, we’re just hoping to have a little fun with the technique. Each week I’ll post ten words to which you can respond to with the first thing that comes to mind.
“Rules are, there are no rules.” There are no right or wrong answers. Don’t limit yourself to one word responses; just say everything that pops into your head. AND you don’t have to have your words up on Sunday. Take all week if you want!
I say … and you think …?
- White House :: the president. i guess that’s typical.
- Coffee break :: i don’t really have time for a coffee break.
- Retirement :: old. although it would be nice, it just reminds me that i would be no longer capable of working.
- Lipstick :: i think of red. bright, bright red. i don’t know why.
- Department :: “of health” just popped into my mind. haha.
- Blinds :: lines. that’s how I’m woken up on the weekend, by the sun coming through the slats. the lines sort of glow.
- Diploma :: high school. i don’t know why my mind went for that one instead of college.
- Communication :: struggle. there’s always breakdowns in this area, it seems.
- Budget :: i think of work and all the things i can’t get because we don’t have the budget for it. so that means i go into my personal budget and then i don’t have enough for the things i want for home! sigh.
- Things :: stuff. haha. i use that a lot.